I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! star Carol Vorderman is not one to shy away from voicing her opinions.
And now the former Countdown host has thrown her weight behind an important cause online.
The 56 year old has launched a petition to get the last surviving Dambuster a knighthood after he was left off the New Year’s honours list.
George “Johnny” Johnson was part of the Royal Air Force 617 Squadron, which conducted a night of raids on German dams in 1943.
The 95 year old is the last surviving member of the Bomber Command crews who used Barnes Wallis’s revolutionary bouncing bombs.
But despite being nominated for an accolade, he missed out on being recognised in the New Year’s honours list.
“Really, the reason he is the last surviving Dambuster should be enough (for the knighthood),” Carol told the Press Association.
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
Carol Vorderman through the yearsTuesday, November 15, 2016
The star rocks a very different look back in the 80s [Getty]
We take a look at TV presenter and I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here! star Carol Vorderman's transformation through the years
“But it is what he has done since then that is quite incredible.
“I hadn’t realised someone had nominated him, which they had.
"Then to be snubbed I thought was absolutely disgraceful.
“He is already 95 and when he was asked to step forward he had no hesitation, just as all those in Bomber Command – none of them had any hesitation.
“If you were part of Bomber Command you had more chance of surviving the Battle of the Somme – that is how many died, it was about half, a 50/50 chance and they were all volunteers.
“They were incredibly brave and they have been treated disgracefully since then – even today they haven’t got a medal.”
Carol then went on to reveal that she will making her own personal nomination for the veteran.
“If Olympians, quite rightly, can get theirs so quickly then there’s no reason why Johnny can’t,” the star said.
“I will be putting in a formal nomination with all the letters of support.”
Carol recently hit headlines after she was forced to shut down the saucy advances of a fan on social media.
Starting off a bizarre conversation, the Twitter user wrote: “I wanna do things to you Caroline.”
But the trained pilot simply retweeted the message, adding: “I think you’re talking to someone else called Caroline.”
We thank you for your visit and this news was published from the source ok news ok news
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks